[Cytometry] Near UV laser for ARIAII

Telford, William (NIH/NCI) [E] telfordw at mail.nih.gov
Sun Jul 5 16:39:17 EDT 2009

Hi Bivian...

Keep in mind that the near-UV laser will NOT substitute for violet-laser
applications - the near-UV does not excite Pacific Blue, Cascade Blue,
Live-Dead Violet, etc., nearly as well as the violet.  The near-UV will
excite Qdots, but the violet also does this just as well.

We only use the 375 nm diode for Hoechst SP, and maybe a little DAPI
cell cycle now and then.  For calcium measurement, the 375 nm laser will
not work - you need a shorter 355 nm solid state source.

So I would keep your violet laser, and only add the 375 nm option if you
are planning to do lot of SP.  With the FACSAria, I believe the 375 nm
option does not really replace the violet - they can both be installed
on the same beam path, and alternately switched on or off depending on
need.

Take care,

Bill