[Cytometry] AriaII service contracts

Charles A Kuszynski ckuszyns at unmc.edu
Wed Jan 14 18:23:43 EST 2009

We have both an Aria I and an Aria II.  At first we thought there would be
a need for service contracts on our Aria I .  However, like you we do not
have service contracts on any of our 7 instruments.  We, like you have
experienced little maintenance yearly to justify a contract.  We simply
rely on our backup instruments to take up the slack as we wait for service
as a time and materials function.  I think service contracts are important
for clinical labs with only one or two instruments as they would be in a
world of hurt if they were down for a couple of days.  I know that many of
our users would cringe to think that they might not be able to complete an
experiment but we do have backup instruments for almost everything.

Charles A. Kuszynski, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Director, Cell Analysis Facility
University of Nebraska Medical Center
985816 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5816
402 559-6299 office
402 559-6267 lab
402 980-7654 cell
402 559-4069 fax
ckuszyns at unmc.edu

"What a long strange trip it's been" Grateful Dead

***The University of Nebraska Medical Center E-mail Confidentiality
Disclaimer***
The information in this email is privileged and confidential, intended only
for the use of the addresse(s) above.  Any unauthorized use or disclosure
of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this email by
mistake, please delete it and immediately contact the sender.

             Ray Hester
             <rhester at jaguar1.
             usouthal.edu>                                              To
             Sent by:                  Cytometry Mailing List
             cytometry-bounces         <cytometry at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu>
             @lists.purdue.edu                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/12/2009 09:47          [Cytometry] AriaII service
             AM                        contracts

Hi,

Never having had a service contract on our procession of BD instruments
(single-laser FACS IV, dual-laser 440 and VantageSE, and now three-laser
Vantage DiVa) over the past  22 years, and having done so at an annual
service lay-out averaging approx. $4,000/yr, we wondered if any AriaII
labs have managed without a service contract after the initial,
manufacturer's first-year warranty?  And if so, what have been your
approximate, annual, service-related costs during that period without a
contract?  [we realize, of course, that the speed of the response to any
on-site service request might be faster if we had a contract.]

Thanks for any help with this.

Ray Hester
College of Medicine
Univ. of South Alabama