[Cytometry] Permeabilization of gram negative bacteria

Joanne Yetz-Aldape Jyetz-Aldape at xcellerex.com
Tue Feb 24 10:18:15 EST 2009

Hello all,

As I am reading the recent discussion of PI uptake in bacteria, I have
been rethinking some basic protocols I have been using to stain and sort
bacteria.  I have been wrestling with the issue of permeabilizing gram
negative bacteria to enable staining, and consequently severely
affecting the viability and robustness of the population even before
they are subjected to the sorting process.  I have been treating the
bacteria (Pseudomonas fluorescens) with 10-100ug/mL lysosyme and 1mM
EDTA as permeabilizing agents.

I was wondering if anyone has any insights into this issue, or new
protocols they would be willing to share.

Best Regards,

Joanne

Joanne Yetz-Aldape

Scientist