[Cytometry] staining method for diagnostic immunophenotyping

Sandy Smith ssmith at stvincents.com.au
Sun Feb 22 21:13:25 EST 2009

Morning,

In our diagnostic lab we use a stain/lyse/no-wash method for our lymphocyte
subsets (basic enumeration), and a stain/lyse/wash/fix for the oncology
phenotyping; we use FACSLyse for both.

The no-wash method is much quicker and easier; we have to use CD45 to threshold
out the significant amount of un-lysed RC/debris, but we always use CD45 anyway.
The only 'drawback' was that our sample probe had a red tinge from these samples
on our FACSCalibur, even with the bleach tube in every carousel; but now we use
the 'SIT flush' between tubes on the new FACSCanto II and don't have that issue
any more. A few times a year (if that) we have to perform the lyse/wash method on
a sample that doesn't show clear separation of populations, doesn't happen often
enough for us to see a pattern in these samples to explain why. We used to use
lyse/wash for subsets, but we compared methods and the results were very similar
so we switched. Not washing also reduces risk of staff exposure to sample.

We use the lyse/wash method for all oncology samples; takes longer but cleans up
the CD45 neg area so we don't have to use a CD45 threshold (which would exclude
some neoplastic cells, esp B-ALLs). With the CD45 neg mess we see from the no-wash
method, we haven't investigated switching methods.

Hope this is useful,

Sandy Smith

Flow Cytometry, SydPath
St Vincents Hospital, Sydney
(02) 8382 9176

>>> "Lydene McArthur" <Lydene.McArthur at cdhb.govt.nz> 23/02/2009 9:22:18 am >>>
Hi everyone

I'd like to get an idea of staining approaches used by other
laboratories for diagnostic immunophenotyping for leukaemia/lymphoma.
We use a lyse/wash/stain/wash technique for the majority of samples
(peripheral blood, bone marrow, lymph node and cellular FNA samples).
I've been asked to investigate whether it would be suitable to use a
stain/lyse/no-wash technique instead, but would like to get feedback
from other diagnostic labs and find out which stain method you are
using, if you are using (or have tried) a no-wash technique, and whether
you have a preference for any method over another.  (See attached file
for brief summary of techniques mentioned).

Many thanks

Lydene McArthur

Haematology Surface Markers

Canterbury Health Laboratories

Christchurch

New Zealand

*************************************************************************************************************
Check out our web site:  http://www.cdhb.govt.nz

This email and attachments have been scanned for content and viruses and is
believed to be clean
This email or attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged
information intended for the
sole use of the addressee(s). Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or
reproduction of this message,
except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please
notify the sender and
remove all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any views or
opinions expressed in
this email (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Canterbury
District Health Board

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been virus
scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system, St Vincents &
Mater Health Sydney accepts no liability for any consequential damage
resulting from email containing any computer viruses.