[Cytometry] cytometer - analysis & sorting

SIMON MONARD smonard at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Sat Feb 21 04:06:15 EST 2009

Hi Gabriele

I think it comes down to who is going to look after the instrument.
Instrumentation grants require some demonstation that you have a
competent experienced person to take care of the equipment. Having
said that the Aria is proably the easiest sorter to operate, its not
very different to operating BDs Canto and LSR II. A lab on our campus
has an Aria with no dedicated operator, it mostly sits broken waiting
for the service engineer.

Best

Simon

Quoting Gabriele Grunig <grunig01 at nyu.edu>:

> Dear all,
>
> We are preparing an equipment grant.  Ideally, we would need a flow
> cytometer that is a good, robust analyzer and that can also be used
> as a sorter.  I know about the Aria, but am concerned that when this
>  instrument is used simply as an analyzer it will be too difficult
> to  operate for people who are occasional users.  I am also
> concerned  that unlike a robust analyzer (e.g. Calibur), a
> high-speed sorter -  even in the analysis mode - is not going to
> tolerate cell  suspensions that might have a few clumps.
>
> Is it safe to say that we have to make a choice between an analyzer
> and a sorter ?  For us the analyzer is more important because it
> will be used much more frequently.
>
> Thank you so much for your input !
>
> Gabriele
>
> _________
> Gabriele Grunig, DVM, PhD
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Environmental Medicine
> NYU School of Medicine
> 57 Old Forge Rd.
> Tuxedo NY 10987
> email: grunig01 at nyu.edu
> phone: 845-731-3669

Simon Monard
FACS Facility Manager
MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine
Institute for Stem Cell Research
University of Edinburgh
Roger Land Building
West Mains Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3JQ

Tel. Lab 0131 6505876
Tel Office 0131 6517265

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.