[Cytometry] cytometer - analysis & sorting

Gabriele Grunig grunig01 at nyu.edu
Fri Feb 20 21:09:15 EST 2009

Dear all,

We are preparing an equipment grant.  Ideally, we would need a flow cytometer that is a good, robust analyzer and that can also be used as a sorter.  I know about the Aria, but am concerned that when this instrument is used simply as an analyzer it will be too difficult to operate for people who are occasional users.  I am also concerned that unlike a robust analyzer (e.g. Calibur), a  high-speed sorter - even in the analysis mode - is not going to tolerate cell suspensions that might have a few clumps.

Is it safe to say that we have to make a choice between an analyzer and a sorter ?  For us the analyzer is more important because it will be used much more frequently.

Thank you so much for your input !

Gabriele

_________
Gabriele Grunig, DVM, PhD