[Cytometry] FW: Inexpensive flow cytometer wanted

Spurmanis, Aleks Aleks.Spurmanis at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 19 08:52:07 EST 2009

Hi all,

the replies that I've collected since my initial query for an
inexpensive flow cytometer.  By far the largest number of respondants
recommended the Accuri C6.  On follow up, it does seem to be the most
economical off-the-shelf unit that meets all of the criteria that I
specified including price point.  Unfortunately, they do not currently
deliver to Canada so I was not able to obtain a formal quote from the
company at this time.  Although both the Guava EasyCyte, Miltenyi
MACSQuant and BD FACSArray all met the functional criteria and do have
attractively small footprints in addition, brand new units are priced
well above the $50K price point specified.  Someone had sent a link to
Stratedigm's S1000 that I still have to follow up on
http://www.stratedigm.com/products.html.  I've also received quotes for
refurbed cytometers (FACSCaliburs, FACSArrays) from a number of
providers.  This appears to be our most promising option at this time.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied so far.  Please feel free to
comment or contact me directly if you have any additional information to
add.

Cheers,

Aleks Spurmanis
Fluorescence Core Facility Manager