[Cytometry] Hot Aria in Baker cabinet

Zip zipkg at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 14:12:12 EST 2009

Dear William,

     Indeed, we still are having problems with our Aria-IIu
in the BioProtect-II and have received several visits from
both Baker, as well as BD. engineers. Thus far, we have
tried: replacing all of the room's hot incandescent
light bulbs with cooler energy-saving fluorescent ones;
adding air exit vents to the doors of the room; replacing
the room air in-flow HEPA. filter with a plain A/C. one to
increase air flow; the addition of a mobile spot A/C. unit;
addition of an extra air room in-flow roof vent, all without
success. The internal air temperature of the cabinet, even
without the instrument switched on, is around 80F. still and
the maximum specified operating range for the Aria is 75F.
The major issue is that the room simply is too small for
this cabinet to vent in to and you should have your Baker
engineer pay particular attention to this during his initial
site assessment, prior to any such purchase. Our only real
hopes are, either to connect the cabinet's exhaust
system to the building's HVAC. system (unlikely), rather
than to vent in to the room directly, as now; to relocate
the entire facility completely (most unlikely); or to
acquire the room next door and to remove the internal
dividing wall (also very unlikely), so we seem to be stuck
with this situation, at least for now. So, as the old saying
goes: "Caveat emptor"! Good luck and let me know
how things go.

Best wishes,

Zip.

Huw S. ("Zip") Kruger Gray, Ph.D.