[Cytometry] Optical pathways: mirrors or fibre optics?

Perfetto, Steve (NIH/VRC) [E] sperfetto at mail.nih.gov
Sun Feb 15 12:05:23 EST 2009

All of our LSRs and one Aria uses the air launched approach and while on oc=
casion the mirrors require slight adjustment this can be done quickly by th=
e operator. Our other Aria is setup with single mode fiber optics and if th=
is instrument goes out of alignment (frequently enough) a service call is r=
equired. In addition, as Marty stated the 405 (50mW) will break down the fi=
ber optic and has greater power loss, hence requires more monitoring. For t=
hese reasons we prefer the air launched technology.

SP