[Cytometry] UPDATE - Beckman Coulter/BD AMS Warning

Geoffrey M. Lyon geoffrey.lyon at yale.edu
Fri Feb 13 11:17:07 EST 2009

This e-mail is a follow-up to our earlier list post - ALERT-Serious problem=
 with
AMS-Buffalo Filters
(https://lists.purdue.edu/pipermail/cytometry/2009-January/036498.html).   =
The
initial e-mail revealed that that BD and Beckman Coulter AMS filters were
failing standard in-line HEPA tests.  We posted Becton Dickinson=92s letter
acknowledging the failure
(https://lists.purdue.edu/pipermail/cytometry/2009-January/036553.html).  B=
D is
replacing affected filters free of charge to all their customers.

We would also like to post Beckman Coulter=92s response acknowledging their=
 filter
failures (see attached).  Beckman Coulter is also replacing all affected fi=
lters
free of charge.

Both the BD and Beckman Coulter letters specify that lots 030144 to 081821 =
were
affected.  We would caution that if you still have filters produced before
030144 (2003) that you contact the appropriate company and request to have =
the
filter replaced.  In the initial Yale AMS testing the earliest filter tested
was 030144 (2003).  We suspect that filters produced prior to lot 030144 (2=
003)
have not been re-tested and validated.  Both Beckman Coulter and BD have
confirmed to Yale that they will replace filters made prior to lot 030144 f=
ree
of charge to customers still possessing them.  If either company balks at
issuing a free replacement, we would recommend asking for recent test resul=
ts
validating your specific lot number.

Geoffrey Lyon
Biotechnology Associate II