[Cytometry] Fw: Question regarding gamma delta T cells

Tony Bakke bakkea at ohsu.edu
Wed Feb 11 18:28:51 EST 2009

Yes, gamma-delta T-cells are rare - only a couple of percent of
lymphocytes in peripheral blood.  They can be found more commonly in the
GI tract and in the skin, where they protect normal cells from excess
inflammation by killing macrophages and neutrophils that express heat
shock proteins (Hirsh and Junger Am J Respiratory Cell and Molecular
Biology, 39: 509, 2008) and (Venet et al. J Leukocyte Biol 83:523,
2008).

Since they are CD4 and CD8 negative, they are not killed by HIV virus
and can be increased in HIV patients.  Also they do increase after some
other infections, especially mycobacterial ones.  In addition, they can
be neoplastic, usually appearing as a chronic T-cell leukemia.

Tony Bakke, PhD, D(ABMLI)
Scientific Director, Special Immunology and Clinical Flow Cytometry
Department of Pathology
Oregon Health & Science University