[Cytometry] Ghost population?

Rui Gardner ruig at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Thu Feb 5 17:36:22 EST 2009

Hi Rachael,

We've been using a 50mW 561nm laser in our moflo for quite some time
now, and never observed this "ghost" population you refer to. We
actually have the 561 laser coupled through a fiber optical cable so we
can switch the laser from one side to the other, and so we've even used
the 561 and red laser together and still haven't seen this population.
Are you sure these are cells? What kind of PMT are you using and what
are the voltages you're setting it to?

I do recall once seeing an extra population arising when I was cranking
up the voltage of one of my Hamamatsu H957-15 PMT's to detect PE-Cy7
(with the 488nm), but then I ran the negative sample again and realized
it was also present. Later I read this is related to large noise due to
excessive amplification of the PMT (I set the voltage to over 900), but
it didn't explain why an extra population appears (and I must apologize
for my lack of knowledge in this matter). Could this be what you are seeing?

Rui.
Rui Gardner
Flow Cytometry Lab Manager
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência