[Cytometry] 5 color compensation issue

Joe_Trotter@bd.com Joe_Trotter at bd.com
Tue Feb 3 17:12:44 EST 2009

Hi David,

        As the applet author I should add here that the viewer just uses
"typical" example tandem spectral data (typical spectral data that I could
locate, rather than either best or worst case for each), and that some
lots of PE-Cy5.5 may have very little donor (PE) signal while others may
have more. As Mario said, lot-to-lot variation matters and the PE
contributions are usually going to be similar for PE-Cy5.5 and PE-Cy5
using well chosen lots. The PE-Cy5.5 example file in the viewer just
happens to have significant donor signal - and some lots do while others
may behave reasonably well in certain panel contexts. Remember that
compensation is also gain dependent, so it can often be challenging to
diagnose exactly what the original compensation problem was without more
information regarding specific tandem reagent properties and the cytometer
setup & configuration.

        Joe

Joseph Trotter
Director, Cytometry / Advanced Technology Group

BD Biosciences
tel: (858) 812-8946  cell: (858) 449-7338  fax: (858) 812-8979
10975 Torreyana Road, San Diego, CA 92121-1106 USA
E-mail: Joe_Trotter at bd.com   Website: www.bd.com

"Haviland, David L" <David.L.Haviland at uth.tmc.edu>
Sent by: cytometry-bounces at lists.purdue.edu
02/03/2009 12:28 PM

"Mario Roederer" <roederer at drmr.com>, <cytometry at lists.purdue.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Cytometry] 5 color compensation issue

Well, I'm not here to start an arugment but I only know from my own
experience which mirrors what I see when comparing PE, PE-Cy5.5, and
PE-Cy5 on the BD spectral viewer.   In closing everything down on the
spectral viewer except the emission profiles of those three, it would
appear that PE-Cy5.5 has a very strong emission, virtually covering the
PE emission making the two very difficult to compensate.  Per the
spectral viewer, PE-Cy5.5 has two emission peaks, one about 550 and the
other short of 700nm.  PE-Cy5, however, only has maybe a 5% emission in
PE making those two workable.

I don't know if it will come over by I've "snipped" and included the
figure from the BD viewer showing the emission profiles of the three.
I don't know about others but I have the standard filter configurations
in my LSR and Aria (both 10 color) and my user called me over when they
couldn't comp PE and PE-Cy5.5 against each other.   When I had
difficulty, we both went to the viewer to double check after taking the
respective comps to 900+ without resolution.   Said user has since
changed the flours they use.

Understand that my not "allowing" the pair in the room was pretty much
in jest as well. Seeing the overlap in PE and PE-Cy5.5 in the PE channel
on the spectral viewer pretty much convinced my user to find another
color on their own.   Many users get Cy5 and Cy5.5 confused.

Won't argue about PE-Cy5/Cy5.5 and APC.   I've dealt with them as well
but at least the combinations were "workable".

David

=================================
David L. Haviland, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Immunology