[Cytometry] 5 color compensation issue

Haviland, David L David.L.Haviland at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Feb 3 15:28:50 EST 2009

Well, I'm not here to start an arugment but I only know from my own
experience which mirrors what I see when comparing PE, PE-Cy5.5, and
PE-Cy5 on the BD spectral viewer.   In closing everything down on the
spectral viewer except the emission profiles of those three, it would
appear that PE-Cy5.5 has a very strong emission, virtually covering the
PE emission making the two very difficult to compensate.  Per the
spectral viewer, PE-Cy5.5 has two emission peaks, one about 550 and the
other short of 700nm.  PE-Cy5, however, only has maybe a 5% emission in
PE making those two workable.

I don't know if it will come over by I've "snipped" and included the
figure from the BD viewer showing the emission profiles of the three.
I don't know about others but I have the standard filter configurations
in my LSR and Aria (both 10 color) and my user called me over when they
couldn't comp PE and PE-Cy5.5 against each other.   When I had
difficulty, we both went to the viewer to double check after taking the
respective comps to 900+ without resolution.   Said user has since
changed the flours they use.

Understand that my not "allowing" the pair in the room was pretty much
in jest as well. Seeing the overlap in PE and PE-Cy5.5 in the PE channel
on the spectral viewer pretty much convinced my user to find another
color on their own.   Many users get Cy5 and Cy5.5 confused.

Won't argue about PE-Cy5/Cy5.5 and APC.   I've dealt with them as well
but at least the combinations were "workable".

David

=================================
David L. Haviland, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Immunology