DAPI

Nebe-Von-Caron, G g.nebe-von-caron at spdspark.com
Tue Nov 18 05:09:40 EST 2008

Considering that DAPI is used to stain viable bacteria

http://www.invitrogen.com/site/us/en/home/support/Research-Tools/Image-G
allery/Image-Detail.alternateID.g000651.html

I would be careful about any interpretation of signals as Ethidium
Bromide was also used as a dead cell marker in mammalian cells and can
be loaded into bacteria but is subject to dye extrusion systems.
Normally cells with permeabilised membranes will always be quicker to
pick up staining so your brightest cells at low conc. or short
incubation times could be the dead ones but depending n circumstances
the dimmest fluorescence could be cells pumping the dye out or have
reduced amounts of nucleic acid. There is no way to get around
appropriate controls. Also a look of scatter versus fluorescence to get
some clues.

regards

Gerhard Nebe-von-Caron
Research Scientist and Biomedical Engineer

SPDspark, www.swissprecisiondiagnostics.com

SPD Development Company Limited

Priory Business Park

Stannard Way