APC-Cy7 and PE-Cy7 compensation

Oscar Fornas oscar.fornas at upf.edu
Tue Nov 11 05:05:28 EST 2008

Hi Lynda,

The phenomenon that you describe is completely normal using single color
compensation samples.

For the polychromatic flow cytometry 2 and 3 color compensations controls
should be performed for proper color compensation.
The automatic color comp in DiVa software can be good enough for 2 colors
analysis, but using more than 4 colors this tool not always is enough for a
proper compensation and you must set it manually with additional controls.

When using several antibodies in a sample, the spreading of negative cells
for a concrete antigen can be rise since autofluorescence increases giving
high spillover in other detectors due the addition of a lot of antibodies in
the same sample.
This means that compensation with 2 and 3 color comp controls is mandatory,
otherwise this affect to the spillover and can concludes with a under or
over compensation. Furthermore, manual color comp must be performed !!!

This phenomenon that all of us identifies and correct with additional color
compensation with 2 and 3 color controls was finally fully described and
illustrated by Mario Roederer (in my opinion) in one of the best technical
flow cytometry papers. Check it for an amazing guide of color compensation.
Reference is:
Optimizing a multicolor immunophenotyping assay
Clin Lab Med. 2007 Sep;27(3):469-85, v. Review

Hope this helps.

Good luck!!!

Oscar

________________________________

Òscar Fornas, PhD.
Technical Director, Flow Cytometry Facility.
DCEXS Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
Barcelona Biomedical Research Park.
Doctor Aiguader, 88.
08003 Barcelona.