Spending too much time on the flow can lead to this

Howard Shapiro hms at shapirolab.com
Thu Jun 26 08:30:10 EDT 2008

Beverly Barton wrote:
>  You know you've been spending too much time on the flow when:
>
> 1) you dream all night about a new instrument that doesn't exist
> 2) you dream in rhyme to a tune about what you do, thus composing your
> new lab theme song.
> Me, I dreamt all night about a new flow cytometer that married the
> open configuration of a MoFlow to the capability of an ImageStream.  I
> also had expanded staff to run it.  I'll take the staff with my old
> FACScan!!
>

> And the song?
>
> To the tune of "Home on the Range"
>
> Oh give me a flow,
> Where all the cells glow;
> (And one has to work in the dark).
> I see cells fluoresce,
> And never coalesce.
> In this way does one make one’s mark.
>
> Refrain:
> Flow, flow all the day!
> No clogs to get in my way.
> FITC and PE
> Is what I shall see.
> Science triumphant alway'.
>
> If ISAC needs a theme song, we can talk....
Nice try, but, technically, ISAC does have a theme song; at the 1978
Elmau meeting at which the Society (then just plain SAC) was founded, my
"Anthem for the Society for Analytical Cytology" was approved by a voice
vote.

The first verse is:

In our Society for Analytical Cytology,
We marry cell biology with engineering, which
Provides the lab and clinic with a promising technology,
And thus, we must acknowledge, we
Get funded, if not rich.

The lyrics and music are in one of my piles of paper; I dug them up a
couple of years ago for possible inclusion in one of the ISAC CDs/DVDs,
but darned if I know in which pile they now reside. I remember most if
not all of the verses.

When SAC changed its name to ISAC (1990-91, at the Asheville meeting), I
was in favor of retaining the original name, and wrote "We're All Great
in the SAC"; I'm not sure I even bothered keeping it.

-Howard