Counting bacteria

William Throndset william.throndset at danisco.com
Wed Jun 25 13:31:27 EDT 2008

Hello Petra

The kit works well with Bacillus subtilis in our hands - we use it
routinely for "live /dead" analysis.  I'm not sure what the Ribolyser
procedure is - but as long as it leaves your cells intact, so that they
retain their DNA and can trigger the electronics by scattering light - you
should be able to distinguish between cells with intact and compromised
cell membranes.   Whether this works for your application depends on what
the difference between your "undestroyed" cells versus your destroyed cells
is, i.e. the extent of membrane permeability.

Regards,

Bill
-------------------------------
Bill Throndset
Scientist I
Genencor  Division of  Danisco US Inc
925 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
tel:  650-846-4035
fax: 650-845-6509

	     phildebr at uni-grei
	     fswald.de
				       Cytometry Mailing List
	     Posted date     :	       <cytometry at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu>
	     06/25/2008 						cc
	     11:44:52 AM ZE2
								   Subject
				       Counting bacteria

Hi,

a collegue attempts to count bacteria (Bacillus subtilis)before and after
they are gone through the Ribolyser procedure to determine/confirm the
percentage of undestroyed cells. I was looking for a suitable dye and
found the LIVE/DEAD BacLight Bacterial viability and counting kit from
INVITROGEN.
Has anyone general experiences with this kit, and do you think it is
possible to use it for out purpose?

Thanks!

Petra

Petra Hildebrandt