BrdU-FITC / PI cell cycle

Michael Ormerod m.g.ormerod at
Mon Jun 23 13:34:50 EDT 2008

RE: BrdU-FITC / PI cell cyclePersonally I seldom have a problem with spectral overlap in a BrdUrd-FITC PI experiment. If you record the PI fluorescence at 695, you will certainly reduce any spill over from FITC into PI. However, that wavelength is sub-optimal for PI, which is best recorded at a lower wavelength such as 620 nm.

I compensation needs to be applied, it can be applied in the usual fashion.

If you download FCSExpress Reader from the denovosoftware Web site, you can see an example at

A compensation has bee applied in software to correct the small overlap from fluorescein into PI. The larger fluorescence of the G2/M cells compared to G1 in the fluorescein channel was probably due to the increased autofluorescence of the larger cells.

Michael Ormerod,
1 Furze Place,
Furze Hill,

Phone: (0)1737 767879
Mobile: (0)7802293242

Web site:
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gerstein, Rachel
  Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 3:27 PM
  Subject: RE: BrdU-FITC / PI cell cycle

  this may not be the answer you are looking for, but, if you detect PI in "FL3" ie using a std filter for Cy5-PE (like 695/40), there is almost no compensation needed if the other color is FITC

  Rachel M. Gerstein, Ph.D.
  Associate Professor
  Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
  Graduate Program in Immunology/Virology
  55 Lake Avenue North
  Worcester, MA 01655-0002