DiVa software and Windows accounts

Robert Karaffa rkaraff at emory.edu
Thu Jan 31 23:57:42 EST 2008

Hi Rich,
	We've been using a logging/authentication scheme here at Emory that
suits us very well.

The negatives:
1)  Users must login twice to use our LSRII:  login first in Windows
XP, login second to FACSDiva (same credentials).
2)  Administrators must create the user accounts both on the Linux
server AND in FACSDiva (same credentials).

The authentication software is called pgina.  It super-cedes the
Windows authentication routines and authenticates against our Linux
server (running SAMBA).

The positives:
1)  User accounts are created on the Linux server (centralized
authentication).
2)  User accounts grant access to the LSRII (FACSDiva).
3)  User accounts grant access to our online-scheduling system (for
instrument reservation).
4)  User accounts grant access to our data storage server (user's
network volume is automagically mounted upon successful login on our
LSRII, making data transfer easy, no matter the level of computer
literacy of the user).
5)  Administration of user accounts is quick, easy and quite painless.
6)  Our Linux server is behind two firewalls (Emory's "Border
Firewall" which protects the entire campus, and our own firewall
provided by our Linux server).
7)  Users account on our LSRII do not require Admin privileges (BD
initially sets up all user accounts so that they have Admin
privileges, mostly so that they (users) can run FACSDiva).  We
changed this (easy to do) so that our users have the access
privileges required to get their work done).
8)  Users are allowed access to the net via web browser only (we
uninstalled e-mail apps, a source of naughty things from the net).
They can check e-mail and surf all they want, via webmail and web
browser.  That's it.
9)  Anti-virus software runs nightly.
10)  FACSDiva's log files are collected each month and imported into
our database for billing/tracking purposes.
11)  Oh, and I almost forgot...pgina is CHEAP.	$50 is what I think
we paid (and that was really out of courtesy...we had been using it
for awhile during testing and the author "requests" "contributions"
to offset his time and effort...and trust me, it is well worth it!).
12)  I believe you can export/import the FACSDiva passwords file
amongst multiple computers...?	(i.e., create one master copy and
distribute it).

I'm not sure how many users we have...probably well over 250
individual accounts by now, and growing.  Check out pgina (Google is
your friend).  The author is very responsive to e-mail, and there is
a ListServ where you can find answers to questions.

Feel free to drop us a note if you have more questions.

-Bob K.

--
Robert E. Karaffa, II

If your research project was supported in part by  the Emory School
of Medicine Flow Cytometry Core Facility, we ask that you acknowledge
the Core in your publications, abstracts, presentations, posters,
grant proposals, etc. using variations of the following text:

"This research project was supported in part by the Flow Cytometry
Core Facility of the Emory University School of Medicine."