How to deal with ARIA contamination?

akos.szilvasi@novartis.com akos.szilvasi at novartis.com
Wed Jan 30 09:09:07 EST 2008

We did all of those you suggested, Simon. The air bubble filter landed in
the garbage a long-long time ago. That dramatic bleaching (10% bleach in
both the sheath and the dist. water tank followed by repeated start ups
and shut downs) solved the contamination only temporarily, say, 4 weeks or
so. Even in between we occasionally could grow a couple of colonies from
the sheath sample.

According to BD the house air can be a source of contamination. Strangely
there is no barrier built in the outside compressed air source but (if I
understood correctly) there is a filter for the sorter's own compressor.
Next I will have to find an air filter for the house air (even though the
line has two huge cases attached to - a moisture and an oil trap).

Thanks for all the responses (on and off line).

Akos

__________________________
Akos Szilvasi
NIBRI Core Laboratory Services
manager
USCA, 601-5301
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical
Research, Inc.
100 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139
USA
Phone: +1 617 8717177
Email : akos.szilvasi at novartis.com

Simon Monard <smonard at ibmc.up.pt>
01/29/2008 08:08 PM

akos.szilvasi at novartis.com
cc
Cytometry Mailing List <cytometry at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu>
Subject
Re: How to deal with ARIA contamination?

Hi Akos

I had some probelms with my Aria for a while. Drove me nuts. I ended up
doing a
few things. I ditched that bubble filter entirely. I filled all the tanks
one
at a time with 10% bleach and did a ton of tank primes, basically trying
give every part of the fluidics a good bleaching. I ran bleach though the
sheath path with the stream on for a while. Then rinced out the tanks real
good
with DI water and did the same with DI water, running it though all the
lines
for a while. Then I replaced all the fluid filters with new ones  (you
could
rinse then really well and autoclave them, the connections can get a bit
leaky
after autoclaving). I then ran though a bunch of autoclaved sheath fluid.
I now
autoclave my sheathfluid and haven't had any contaminations since. Doing
this
took most of the day. I had tried using less drastic measures before but
the
contamination kept coming back. There are so many places bacteria can lurk
in
the Aria there being so much tubing. The bubble filter needs to go as it
never
gets sterilized if you isolate it when running ethanol as BD suggest. For
many
years I had no contaminations at all with Vantages etc.
You do need to make sure you get rid of any traces of bleach as cells
don't get
on very well with it. I make up my own sheath fluid as 10x stock, dilute
it to
1x and autoclave it in the spare sheath tank.

Before asceptic sorts I run 70% ethanol though the sheath path for a while
(not
the sheath filter) and do an bunch of fills after switching back to sheath
fluid. I have done many sorts now with no problems even without having
antibiotics in media afterwards.

Best of luck

Simon

Quoting