How to deal with ARIA contamination?

akos.szilvasi@novartis.com akos.szilvasi at novartis.com
Mon Jan 28 14:55:57 EST 2008

Dear FLOWers,

We have a less than two years old (Special Order - UV equipped) ARIA
sorter that had an unrelenting sheath fluid contamination problem. The
recurring mysterious contamination existed from the arrival of the sorter.
We reported it multiple times. BD replaced a few parts of the fluidics
system but it kept the bugs out of the sheath only for 4-6 weeks at the
time. Filter replacements, bleaching the system works only temporarily.
Our other Aria sorter, an older one, never had any such symptoms. We use
them in an identical fashion.

One lab suggested to follow their solution (this is not an isolated
occurrence - not matter what they say) to fill the distilled water tank
with 70% ethanol so that the fluidics shut down procedure would fill the
lines with alcohol. That sounds good but no one could tell if this trick
has some detrimental effect on any parts of the fluidics system. Have you
used alcohol over night in the sorter? Did it cause any problem on the
long run?

Any other solution? BD offers to replace the whole fluidics system for $
13,000.

Best regards,
Akos

__________________________
Akos Szilvasi
NIBRI Core Laboratory Services
manager
USCA, 601-5301
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical
Research, Inc.
100 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139
USA
Phone: +1 617 8717177
Email : akos.szilvasi at novartis.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

exclusive use of the individual or entity named above and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of the
notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the material from any
computer.  Thank you.