Cytokine Bead Array for HIV+ samples

Bridget bmclaughlin at UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Jan 18 18:50:35 EST 2008

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with using paraformaldehyde fixation to reduce
the infectivity of HIV in samples when using BD's Cytokine Bead Array
assays?  We are interested in measuring cytokines or other proteins in cell
culture supernatants, but we need to fix or otherwise inactivate the virus
that may be retained after washing in 0.01% Tween-20 before running the
samples on our LSRII.  Does a final treatment of 1% paraformaldehyde after
the bead/analyte/reporter antibody sandwich preparation alter the assay
sensitivity or cause agglutination of the bead/analyte complexes?

Many thanks for any advice,

Bridget

Bridget McLaughlin, Analyst

Dept. of Medical Microbiology and Immunology

School of Medicine, University of California, Davis

3329 Tupper Hall, 1 Shields Avenue

Davis, CA 95616

Phone: (530) 754-9611 (office), (530) 752-3131 (lab)

Fax: (530) 752-8692