Question about running MRSA on FacsAria

Holmes, Kevin (NIH/NIAID) [E] KHOLMES at niaid.nih.gov
Mon Jan 7 15:09:33 EST 2008

Dear Yan,

Although Staph. aureus is not generally considered to be transmitted via
the aerosol route, it would be prudent to assume that it is for these
reasons: 1) there is some published data which suggests that aerosol
transmission was an important factor in a S. aureus outbreak when
associated with an upper respiratory infection (Annals of Int. Med,
1996, vol 124, 539-547) and 2) you are dealing with a known antibiotic
resistant strain, which raises the biosafety concerns.	You should
definitely consult and follow the procedures listed in the ISAC
biosafety guidelines for sorting unfixed cells available at
http://www.isac-net.org/content/view/660/46/.  It is unclear from your
post whether you have the aerosol management system on your Aria; if
not, you should not be trying to even analyze these.  That being said,
you should realize that the sort chamber of the Aria is designed for
containment, not evacuation and therefore even with the AMS in
operation, the sort chamber is not efficiently evacuated (opening the
sort chamber after a clog, for example will release aerosols).	 It
would also be my recommendation that you wear an N-95 respirator or a
PAPR with HEPA filter, disposable lab coat and gloves.	Finally, if you
haven't already you need to consult the division of Health and Safety at
your Institution.

Kevin Holmes

Kevin L. Holmes, Ph.D.

Chief, Flow Cytometry Section

Research Technologies Branch

Bldg. 4, Room B1-38

Phone: 301-496-9071

FAX:  301-402-4532

Email: kholmes at niaid.nih.gov

NIAID, NIH, DHHS

Disclaimer:

The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is
confidential and may contain sensitive information.  It should not be
used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it
from your mailbox or any other storage devices.  The National Institute
of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) shall not accept liability
for any statements made that are sender's own and not expressly made on
behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives.