plugging holes in cells

Nebe-Von-Caron, G g.nebe-von-caron at spdspark.com
Mon Jan 7 08:57:59 EST 2008

Just to state that dissolving insoluble paraformaldehyde (white waxy
powder) gives you dissolved formaldehyde. Id is unstable under oxygen
forming formic acid.
Fixation will normally lead to cell death / pore destruction that leads
to the uptake of small molecules like PI (680kD). You can probe with
bigger molecules to see if they stay out but sometimes molecules of
considerably bigger MW can wriggle their way into live cells.

Formalin is 35%formaldehyde stabilised in 15% Methanol

What do you want to achieve with the fixation? Can you not probe with
your small molecule prior to fixation?

Regards

Gerhard Nebe-von-Caron
Research Scientist and Biomedical Engineer
SPD-Spark
Swiss Precision Diagnostics
Priory Business Park
Bedford, MK44 3UP, UK