mitochondrial mass measurement

David.C.McFarland@gsk.com David.C.McFarland at gsk.com
Fri Jan 4 12:35:41 EST 2008

Once upon a time I would have said nonyl acridine orange (NAO) labelling
of cardiolipin was the method of choice for measuring mitochondrial mass
by flow.  But over the years, a few articles have been published that cast
doubt on the validity of this assay.  First, some researchers have shown
that NAO staining is mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP) dependent.
This is problematic, especially if the point is to show changes in mass
irrespective of MMP or if fixed cells are to be used.  And secondly, at
least one group has demonstrated NAO is not specific for cardiolipin since
it very well labels cardilipin-defiicient cells.  So, my question is, what
do you recommend for flow- or LSC-based measurement of mitochondrial mass?
 Can anyone comment on the MitoTracker or MitoFluor series of dyes (or a
specific dye in the series) from Invitrogen-Molecular Probes?  I would be
very interested to know if someone has compared all the MitoTracker/Flour
dyes head-to-head.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dave

References of interest:

Gohil, et al.  Analytical Biochemistry343 (2005)350-352.
Keij, et al.  Cytometry 39 (2000) 203-210.

David McFarland
Principal Scientist
GlaxoSmithKline