plugging holes in cells

Jayaraman, Sundararajan anue2468 at uic.edu
Thu Jan 3 21:26:11 EST 2008

Perhaps fixation with 1% paraformaldehyde will help. For best results,
make a 5% stock solution of  paraformaldehyde by dissolving
paraformaldehyde powder in PBS. Heat the solution on a hot plate under a
fume hood since this produces harmful vapor. Bring to a boil. After a
short while, the powder will go into solution. Turn off the heat and let
it stir for about 10 to 15 minutes to completely dissolve. Filter
sterilize the solution and keep it in the refrigerator. Add 5%
paraformaldehyde solution to the cell mixture to a final concentration of
1%. Fix the cells for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature and you can
keep the fixed cells in cold for a day or two. This will fix the cells
without making holes unlike formaldehyde or glutaraldehyde.

Hope this works.

SJ

S. Jayaraman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Surgery
University of Illinois at Chicago
909 South Wolcott Avenue-704E MSB-M/C 790
Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: 312-355-5133
Fax: 312-355-1497