MFI: mean, or median, fluorescence intensity?

Mario Roederer roederer at drmr.com
Thu Feb 21 06:51:54 EST 2008

I see no reason that MFI must be expressed in SI (W/m²); as far as I
am concerned, any units are acceptable as long as they are defined.
By convention (and if undefined), the units on measurements in flow
cytometry are arbitrary; this does not make them unreasonable as units
for reporting values.

You must be careful if you use "MFC", though.  In many cases, channel
numbers are NOT linearly proportional to intensity (for example, on
analog instruments with log amplifiers, which was virtually all
measurements prior to a few years ago).  Only on some of the newer
digital instruments, like Aria and LSR II, are the measurements stored
in channel numbers that are linearly related to intensity,
irrespective of the displayed transformation.

Thus, if you compute your measurements as MFC for events collected on,
say, a FACSCalibur, then what you are actually reporting is the
geometric mean fluorescence -- a very different statistic (albeit also
a decent measure of central tendency).

Thus, computing and labeling as MFC is acceptable (as long as you
define the abbreviation) -- but in doing so must also define whether
you have channel numbers that are log-scaled (meaning that MFC is
proportional to geometric mean fluorescence intensity) or linearly-
scaled (with MFC proportional to MFI).	In my opinion, this
unnecessarily confuses the issue.

mr

(PS, if you are actually computing the MFI, as most software does,
then labeling the results as MFC would be incorrect on instruments
with electronic log amplifiers.)