Alexa Fluor conjugates

Marty Bigos mbigos at gladstone.ucsf.edu
Fri Sep 28 12:00:23 EDT 2007

John-

The Alexa fluorchromes have a number after the word "Alexa", which
indicates the excitation peak of the fluorochrome.  e.g.
Alexa-488,excites maximally with a blue 488 nm laser,  Alexa-647
excites maximally with a red 647 nm krypton laser line.  FL3 and FL4
on the Canto are emission detectors from the blue laser in the long
red wavelengths ( long 600's, and high 700's).	These are used for
fluorochromnes having a large Stokes shift (difference between the
excitation and emission wavelength). Almost all of these fluorchromes
are tandem conjugates, e.g. PE-Cy5.5 or PerCp-Cy5.5, PE-Cy7, although
there are some fluorchromnes that are used in applications which will
give a bright enough signal to be measured in these channels even
though it is suboptimal. But for your need of custom Ab conjugation,
they would not be useful.

So there are no Alexa fluorchromnes that will meet your needs, which
eliminates the possibility of using the Invitrogen custom labeling
kits. To do custom conjugates with the tandem fluorchromnes will
require more effort and money.

Marty Bigos, Director
Gladstone Flow Core

mail: