Fixed cells - washing out fixative before running?

Simon Monard smonard at ibmc.up.pt
Wed Sep 26 07:03:52 EDT 2007

Hi Adrian
Thats a ton of fixative mate, why so much? Most folks use  about 1% formaldehyde
for flow. I buy the good stuff that comes in glass vials for EM 16% or so. You
can make it up from the paraformaldehyde powder if you want to save money. 10%
is probably good for pickling cats, rats, lungs etc, etc. Also, check the
bottle for precipiate, That could clog your machine, if when you shake it it
look like a snowstorm chuck it out, in fact I'd chuck out anyway. If the
fixaive is old it can produce dramatic autofluorescence problems as well (
maybe its not true autofluorescence). You can indeed wash the fixative out
after a day and the cells are still good for days or even weeks, we used to do
that to reduce the autofluoresence problems.
What sort of cells are you dealing with?

Best

--
Simon Monard
Cytometry Lab Manager