Platelet fixation

vincent.shankey@coulter.com vincent.shankey at coulter.com
Sun Sep 23 23:28:40 EDT 2007

I would like to echo the comments previously made by Ian Dommick regarding
platelet fixation. I strongly agree that how you treat (or not) platelets
depends on the question being asked. To say that platelets should never be
fixed ignores much work by Alan Michelson, and others looking at levels of
platelet activation in situ or following in vitro activation. To place a
link suggesting that platelets should be first separated from whole blood
fails to recognize a large body of evidence (Ken Ault, others) that in
vitro manipulation of platelets, particularly preparation of platelet-rich
plasma, can significantly increase background levels of platelet
activation. These are tricky buggers to work with, and the experimental
design should carefully and thoughtfully reflect the experimental question
being asked.

T. Vincent Shankey, Ph.D.
Advanced Technology Center
Beckman Coulter, Inc.
vincent.shankey at coulter.com
(305)-380-2430

mailgatemia2 made the following
message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property
of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy,
disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
message.