FACS on platelets

Gary Warnes g.warnes at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Sep 21 03:48:45 EDT 2007

Dear Sergey,

		Fixing is the last thing you do to platelets, in fact it's a
definite no-way. You mention you would like to stop clogging the machine -
if are using thrombin or ADP to activate platelets then I found a way to
stop this to use a density gradient after making PRP to purify the platelets
this also removes clotting factors and hence the platelets do not aggregate.
I guess if you wish to add thrombin to diluted whole blood then if you add
excess EDTA, removing the calcium also stops the platelets  from
aggregating. I've been out of the field for sometime but searching under
Michelson should give you lots of up to date knowledge on the subject.

Regards

Gary

Dr. Gary Warnes

Imaging & Flow Cytometry Core Facilities

Institute of Cell & Molecular Science

Queen Mary London University

4 Newark Street

London