Phenol Red Interference

Brian Lee brian at immunochemistry.com
Thu Sep 13 14:03:43 EDT 2007

Dear Flow-ers,

I have a very basic question to ask of the group.  It involves the mixed
messages that I have received from several experienced flow people as to
whether or not Phenol Red, which is present in many types of cell culture
media, causes problems with the initial forward-side scatter gating of the
instrument during set up.  Are the newer lasers that are present on the BD
Canto for example, immune to this issue?  We currently run our caspase
substrate assays with the cells in their respective cell culture media
compositions and would like to continue to do so if possible.  Thanks in
advance to all who wish to help clarify this question for me.

Brian

Brian W. Lee	Ph.D

Vice President

Immunochemistry Technologies, LLC