Salamanders and flow cytometry

Auger, Julie [BSD] - SRF jauger at bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 11 15:04:56 EDT 2007

Hi Julie -
I did some flow cytometry with a researcher who studied salamanders
sometime in the late 80's (wow, that is a long time ago!).  The only way
to differentiate two species was by measuring DNA content.  She
developed a blood collection method that involved making a small
incision between the toes and collecting a few drops into an eppendorf
tube.  She did this in the field and then released the animals after a
short recovery/clotting period.  There was sufficient blood from the
salamanders to perform the assay.  Unfortunately, I do not remember her
name nor where it was published.  If I find the reference I'll pass it
along.	We did not do any studies with this species that involved tissue
dissociation.

All the best,
Julie

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS:	jauger at bsd.uchicago.edu

Julie A. Auger
Director, Office of Shared Research Facilities
Associate Director for Core Facilities, UC Cancer Research Center

University of Chicago, Biological Sciences Division
007 Kovler Lab, 910 E. 58th St
Chicago, IL  60637

e-mail:   jauger at .bsd.uchicago.edu
telephone:  773-702-9261