BrdU question

Diana Martin zigra at uga.edu
Fri Jun 15 08:36:20 EDT 2007

This question is not directly related to flow cytometry, but I assume that many of you
use BrdU and may therefore be able to offer advice.  We occasionally feed our mice BrdU
(from Sigma) at 0.8 mg/ml in their drinking water for 7-14 days.  This has never been a
problem from the animal resource point of view until recently.	Now there are suggestions
of incinerating the bedding and possibly putting these mice in quarantine.  Obviously, we
do not want to put our animal care workers or anyone else in danger, but is the real
danger of this concentration of BrdU the same as the perceived danger by our new staff?

I would appreciate it if some people out there with BrdU handling protocols in place
might be willing to share them with me.  We have looked online but without much luck.

Thanks!

Diana

Diana L. Martin
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases
University of Georgia
Athens, GA  30602
(706)542-3396