Decrease in MFI using HTS on LSRII

Ray Lannigan rlannigan at cytekdev.com
Fri Jun 8 14:03:42 EDT 2007

Andrew,

		I would try this same test using beads instead of cells.
This would help isolate the instrument from the sample. Try using a
multi-peak hard dyed beads like Rainbow from Spherotech or FC3M from Duke
beads, and calculating the Q values for both tube and plate acquisitions .
Since the Q of a flow cytometer is how well it converts light from
fluorochrome molecules to photoelectrons, it is a pretty good way to assess
the sensitivity of your setup.

		Eric Chase, Bob Hoffman, and Jim Wood have published much on
this topic. I believe there was a recent addition to Current Protocols in
Cytometry instrumentation section (1.20) by Hoffman and Wood,
"Characterization of a Flow Cytometer  .

A quick and easy way to evaluate Q is to just compare the CV's of a
moderately bright peak (peak 3 or 4 above the blank peak; Blank peak=1) in
the set of 8 peak Rainbow beads. The lower the CV the better the Q.  To get
an actual relative Q value use Q=1/CV2 * MEFL. The MEFL value can be
obtained from the bead manufacturer.  If the Q's for both conditions are
similar, look to the transfer conditions of your sample. If the Q's are
lower with the HTS setup I would guess there is a sample core misalignment
while injecting with the HTS and you might need a visit by a service
engineer.

Ray

Raymond Lannigan

Cytek Development Inc.