Problems with dropdelay on FacsAria

Pizzo,Eugene Pizzo at NSO1.UCHC.EDU
Mon Jun 11 08:06:47 EDT 2007

Hi Yan,

I've had similar problems on our FACS Vantage SE. While Accudrop is
great its often difficult to get a good image of the laser spot. I think
its safe to say that the 2000-4000 events is just a ballpark in order to
gain a satisfactory image of the sort stream and you should not be
concerned if you need to crank that up. Additionally we routinely have
to adjust the alpha stream position and the camera focus in order to
maximize the image of the laser spot on the side stream. But I don't
believe that adjusting your drop delay or nozzle insertion will help you
beyond how they interplay to gain a specific alpha location. I don't
have an ARIA yet but if the center stream position cannot be adjusted
relative to the laser spot I'd have my service engineer take a look.
Lastly we also have had instances when the red laser power dropped
dramatically and prevented us from seeing a sort spot after the optical
filter was in place...

Gene Pizzo

From: Zhang, Yan [mailto:yan.zhang at ahus.no]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 6:43 AM
To: cyto-inbox
Subject: Problems with dropdelay on FacsAria

Hi flowers

I 've had problems with dropdelay recently, the stream has been ok, but
when I started to run AccuDrop to decide the drop delay, I couldn't get
the side stream focused properly at 2000-4000 events/seconds, so when
the optical filter was turned on, I couldn't get up to 100, not even 70
of the intensity.

But when I increased the acquisition speed to over 5000 events/seconds,
I could get nearly 100 side stream intensity. According to BD operation
manual, the acquisition speed should be within 2000-4000 events/s, so
what should I do? I tried to adjust the camera for side stream, the drop
generation was nice and stable, and I have tried to re-insert the nozzle
to get a nice stream with correct drop generation.

 I don't know what else I should adjust anymore. Could some experts give
me some practical suggestions for solving the problems?

Thank you!

Yan Zhang

Flow-lab
Akershus universityhospital