APC fluorochrome

bmcbey@uoguelph.ca bmcbey at uoguelph.ca
Fri Jun 8 11:02:07 EDT 2007

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.  I am using a
FACSAria for analysis with  three fluorochromes.  I've been finding
with my unstained sample that I regularly get a sharp peak in the APC
channel which is unlike the broader peak I get for cells stained with
the APC conjugated antibody.  I can get rid of this peak by re-running
the sample after a period of 5 minutes or even if I put the sample on
ice for a few minutes.	It's kind of disturbing.  Does anyone have a
suggestion why this occurs?  I always run the cells through a cell
sieve filter top tube bought from BD to prevent plugging of the
machine.  Does this process non-specifically excite a cytoplasmic
molecule which is read in the APC channel?  That's the only
explanation I can come up with.
Thanks!
Betty-Anne McBey