Sad News

Jeffrey Harvey jsharvey01 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:26:57 EDT 2007

Dear all,

It's always a shock to unexpectedly lose a member of the cytometry
community.  Since I have been traveling for most of the past two months, I
learned only very recently that Barry Bredt died in April.  I have known
Barry and have considered him a friend for years and visited his core lab at
UCSF many times.  He was the Director of the General Clinical Research
Center at SFGH and Co-Director of the Immunology Core Laboratory at
UCSF-GIVI Center for AIDS Research. He worked at pioneering low cost
HIV/AIDS Diagnostics (e.g., his participation in the "EasyCD4" project) and
he was one of those of us who are committed to finding ways to provide more
affordable diagnostics to resource poor countries, using cytometry or any
other applicable technology.  Since I had not heard of his death, I thought
that I would take the opportunity to let those of you on the list who knew
him – and who also may not have heard – know of this sad news.

Best Regards,

Jeff Harvey