An innovative new two DVD set on Cytometry- Free to all

J. Paul Robinson jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 4 23:40:22 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues

We are almost finished one of the most exciting projects we have done.
It is our new DVD "Cytometry - 60 years of Innovation". It's our first
DVD. Actually, it's a two DVD set - one DVD works on your DVD player and
the other on your computer. The contents are really fantastic - original
video of Mack Fulwyler explaining how he invented the cell sorter,
including pages from his original lab notebook on how he came up with
the ideas...Len Herzenberg showing how he developed the technology into
something that impacted the whole world. Howard Shapiro - one of us who
has contributed his life to the field, as well as bringing the key
technology comes to you in song! Dozens of the leaders of the field tell
us how they see cytometry in the past, present and future. Of course,
there are lots of educational features on the disc as well - lectures,
powerpoint files galore, and a plethora of educational materials to
enhance your role as a student, staff member, teacher or core manager.

The way we bring these educational discs free to you all is via our
sponsors. Sony has graciously donated the production from the Indiana
plant - you probably didn't know that your downloaded songs, dvds and
cds are probably mostly produced in good ole' Indiana - but they are!!

This 60 year celebration of cytometry - brings Diamond Sponsors Bangs
Labs and Beckman-Coulter who lead our sponsors. Both companies bring a
depth of knowledge and skills to cytometry. Beckman-Coulter started the
field with the invention by Wallace Coulter of the Coulter counter over
50 years ago. Bangs Labs has been a leader in bead technology for many
years. Both companies have been two of our strongest supporters over the
many years of doing these educational projects. Thank you for that support.

Major sponsors who generously supported this initiative include Partec,
Invitrogen, Dako, Guava and John Wiley & Sons, publisher of Cytometry
Part A. These major players in the field of cytometry are known to all
of you.

We also acknowledge support from Hamamatsu, Southern Biotech, Compucyte,
Phoenix Flow systems, Spherotech, Accuri Cytometers, EXBIO Praha,A.S.,
Duke Scientific, Coherent, Q-Imaging and Verity Software. All of these
companies provide quality cytometry related resources and we are very
grateful for their support of this really exciting educational and
historic project.

Finally, I want to give one last opportunity for any of you to submit
materials that might enhance this project. We have a few days to go
before the project is literally "etched" in plastic! Send your materials
to Monica Shively, the producer of this project.
(monica at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu ). If you want to see a sneak preview of
the project, go to http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/flowcyt/cdseries.htm.

We will be distributing 10,000 copies of this two DVD boxed set - I hope
you all get a chance to get a copy. Please ask your sales rep from one
of the above companies they will all have copies for distribution. They
are the best source of this historic DVD set. Purdue University
Cytometry Laboratories, who also bring you this discussion board are
pleased to continue bringing innovative projects on cytometry to you. I
hope you enjoy this one. It's the best we have ever done!

Kind regards

J. Paul Robinson
Director, Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories
--
J. Paul Robinson
SVM Professor of Cytomics

Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories
Bindley Bioscience Center
1203 West State Street
Discovery Park, Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057