Isotype controls for cytokine staining

Mario Roederer roederer at drmr.com
Mon Jun 4 19:51:36 EDT 2007

Isotype controls definitely have their value.  The reason I recommend
against them is simply that people over-rely on them when they use
them.  I'd rather that people not use them, and instead, think the
problem out more carefully.

Specifically, isotype controls can identify IF there is a problem
with nonspecific binding.  However, they cannot be used to identify
HOW MUCH of a problem there is.  (Because of all of the already
heavily-discussed issues, like F/P ratios, concentration, etc.)

Thus, isotype controls can act perhaps as a "red flag".  But setting
gates (discrimination of positive vs. negative) based on isotype
controls will only lead you down to false positive or false negatives.

Don't use isotypes for gating.	Use them to gain information about
your staining.

Better yet... don't use isotypes.

mr