Isotype control reference

Ian Titley Ian.Titley at icr.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 07:19:13 EDT 2007

Dear All

After sending attachments with the message below I realised there was a
risk of these being removed so here are the references "long-hand"

Keeney et al 1998 Cytometry 34:280-283 and O'Gorman and Thomas 1999
Cytometry 38:78-80.

Ian

Hi Rosie

The two attached papers (pdf's), although now a bit dated, raise some
interesting issues.

Best wishes

Ian

Ian Titley PhD
Section of Haemato-oncology
Institute of Cancer Research
15 Cotswold Road
Belmont
Sutton
Surrey	SM2 5NG
UK

Tel +44 (0)20 8722 4255

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be the subject

of legal privilege.  Any use, copying or disclosure other than by the
intended recipient is unauthorised.  If you have received this message

in error, please notify the sender immediately via +44 (0) 20 8722
4255
and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.

>>> Rosemary Clarke <r.z.clarke at dundee.ac.uk> 29/05/2007 16:46:05 >>>
Hello everyone in flow land,

A PhD student in the lab has recently had her viva and was asked why
she didn't use isotype controls in her flow cytometry. There are
technical reasons specific to the assays that made these unnecessary
and irrelevant that we can easily explain. However, I was wondering
if anyone out there has a reference that we can cite that explains
the pitfalls of relying on isotype controls? I always feel it gives
more weight to an argument if you can prove you are not the only one
with a way of doing things!

Thanks in advance
Rosie

Dr Rosie Clarke
Division of Cell Biology and Immunology
WTB/MSI
University of Dundee
Dundee
Scotland
UK
Tel: (01382) 385780
E-mail: r.z.clarke at dundee.ac.uk

The Institute of Cancer Research: Royal Cancer Hospital, a charitable Company Limited by
Guarantee, Registered in England under Company No. 534147 with its Registered Office at
123 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RP.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.	If the message is
received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by
replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.