User logging program for PC

Ck Poon cpoon at
Thu Jul 5 16:06:07 EDT 2007

Hello Mary,
If you are using Winxp, it already has the ability to log logins and logoffs
of users.
Here is how to set it up. You must be logged in as Administrator to do this.
1. Go to Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local
Policies > Audit Policy
2. Right click on Audit logon events and open up properties.
3. Check Success and hit Ok.
4. Setup is done.
To view the list, you will also need the admin account. Here is what you do.
1. Right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage.
2. Click on Event Viewer under System Tools
3. Open up the Security Log
4. Events with the Category "Logon/Logoff" are listed for each User.
5. You can also export the list to a tab delimited text file, which can be
opened up in Excel.
Hope this helps,

Ck Poon
Division of Experimental Medicine