channel numbers or linear

Stewart, Judith Judith_Stewart at URMC.Rochester.edu
Wed Jan 31 06:53:37 EST 2007

Dear FLOWers
I'm puzzled, and before you ask, yes, I looked at the vast information in the archive--

I have a old FACScan, I collect fluorescence with the log amp as most do---my question is with analysis.  If I call up the plots using channel numbers and likewise analyze Rainbow beads and run the data through a standard curve, the values I get are always consistently lower than the standardized values I get if I do the analysis with plots showing linear numbers (graphed on a log scale).  Assuming the machine transform is not perfect, which one should I be using?

Maybe the answer was already there but I didn't know what I was looking for?

thanks