New Red Exciting laser for my MoFlo

Richard Grenfell rlg at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 26 04:57:18 EST 2007

--On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:45 pm -0500 janet dow
<jldow at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hey Fellow Flow-ers;
>
> I am putting together a proposal for adding a new laser to my MoFlo. I
> already have a UV, 488 nm and 635 nm on it but there is real demand for a
> laser that can excite in the 535-587 ranges.	I have potential clients
> who want to use DS Red, Monomeric RFB and some of the new red proteins
> developed by Dr. Tsien at UCSD.
>
> I have contacted Dako to see what they offer but wanted to get an idea
> from the experts about which wavelength laser would be best for our needs
> and what the potential cost will be.

Hi Janet

I'm not sure I'd call 535-587nm red!

I use the 528nm line from an Ar ion laser (Innova 90 from Coherent) for
mRFP & DSred quite happily.  I had the laser anyway on my MoFlo so it just
needed the specific output coupler to get that line.

I'll also use a 510/20 bandpass (rather than my more usual 530/30) to
detect GFP from my 488nm at the same time as using the 528nm.

Hoope this helps

Richard

--
Richard Grenfell