isotype controls anad PFC

Wayne Harris waharri at emory.edu
Tue Jan 16 18:26:39 EST 2007

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to throw out a question to see what people's opinions
are. i know that several times before the subject of the utility of
isotype controls in analysis of multicolor cytometry has come up. The
basic perspectives that seem to repeat are there are those that use
isotypes because they always do, or it's better to use isotypes than
not to. And still others favor the use of FMO controls. But somehow
it all seems incompletely accepted what is best.

My question is really if you are using a six or seven color
experiment (perhaps more) with tandem conjugates on a digital system
can you really use isotype controls to aid in your analysis at all
since they will be even more different from the actual reagents used
in comparison to the case for our "normal" reagents (FITC,PE, PerCP,
APC)  where the argument against the utility of isotypes focussed on
differences in Ig concentrations etc. And furthermore, if the tandems
can vary so significantly from lot to lot,  to what degree might we
see shifts in the staining patterns as the levels of background or
just simply staining characteristics of the reagents vary for the
different antibodies in our panels....

ie. even though we create antibody specific compensations in the
matrix, do the differences in the panels because of the different
antibodies cause significant shifts in background etc that your
threshold for signal determination may itself shift from panel to
panel thus making isotypes virtually useless as a control other than
to say whether or not there is significant background.

Simply stated, does polychromatic flow cytometry further
significantly increase the problems in analyzing data using isotype
controls because you may have greater problems with backgrounds etc
for different panels even for samples acquired on the same machine
with the same settings... Are FMO controls the only option then for
each reagent in each panel you use?

just wanted to get an idea how people are dealing with this question.

thanks

Wayne A. C. Harris
Bone Marrow Transplant Laboratory
Immunology and Flow Cytometry Assays Laboratory
Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University
1701 Uppergate Drive
WCI, building C, Rm#4032
Atlanta GA  30322
404-727-3086