Measuring mitochondrial/metabolic activity by flow

Rosemary Clarke r.z.clarke at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 06:27:13 EST 2007

Dear All,

I hope that someone out there may be able to help. Has anyone every
used mitochondrial membrane potential dyes (such as JC1) to monitor
changes in cell metabolic status? This has been suggested as an
additional experiment by a reviewer for a recently submitted paper.
However, I have never seen this sort of dye used in this way, only as
a marker for the loss of membrane potential during apoptosis. I fail
to see how it would be possible to distinguish a cell entering
apoptosis from one that has low metabolic activity anyway. Initial
attempts to look for differences between highly metabolically active
cells and metabolically inactive cells have not shown any
differences, although the dye is working in control samples (ie live,
dying or dead cells). Any comments or suggestions of alternative
assays would be much appreciated. We would do radioactive amino acid
or glucose uptake assays in the traditional way but we are limited by
cell number (thousands as opposed to millions), hence our need to use
flow cytometry.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rosie

Dr Rosie Clarke