Ameliorating PI staining

giovanna farruggia giovanna.farruggia at unibo.it
Wed Jan 17 09:20:55 EST 2007

Hy fklowers and happy 2007 to everyone! To day I had a little surprise
coming back to flow cytometry. In December we analyzed the cell cycle
of  HT29 and Caco cells,  fixed in ethanol and stained in PBS contaning
RNase and PI (50 microgram/mL) after  two washes in PBS. Some of the
samples showed a very bad signal, we checked the alignement and was OK,
but we couldn't get good signal. The samples were put in the fridge (4
°C) and left up today, when the technician of the lab tried to analyze
them again. She found very good cell cycles and she reanalyze all the
sample and they show very beautiful peaks. She call me and ask why they
were so bad before, and the only explanation I found is that she left
ethanol in the sample. Could it be correct, and can we consider
attendible the samples analyzed today? Thank a lot
Giovanna Farruggia