Hi Speed Sorting

William King wking at aecom.yu.edu
Mon Jan 8 15:18:52 EST 2007

Stephen,
I have been sorting bacteria using a MoFlo two or three times every
week for approximately 3 hours per sort since last February and have
had zero contamination issues. Afterward the sort, I run freshly
prepared 10% Chlorox for one hour at high sample pressure though
there have been times that I have done this for as little as 15
minutes; still without any issues. I do pay particular attention to
the cleanliness of the top of the bacteria sort sample tube so as to
not have bacteria contact the o-ring that fits onto the sort tube.
Best,
William

Flow Cytometry Core Facility
Albert Einstein College of Medicine

On Jan 7, 2007, at 6:30 PM, Rbwadley wrote:

> Dear Stephen,
>
> I used to run a Moflo MLS High Speed Sorter at the
> University of NSW, Australia. On any given day I
> could sort and/or analyse bacteria, Giardia, mouse, rat, human
> cells or fungi.
>
> In 3 1/2 years I did not have a single proven case
> of cross contamination.
>
> If you consider how a sorter (or analyser) works the
> only part of the instrument that comes in direct
> contact with the sample is the sample line. If the
> sample line is properly cleaned (I used bleach for a
> couple of minutes followed by distilled water for a
> couple of minutes), there is no problem. I could
> see a problem if the sample was left in the
> instrument after it was shut down overnight, but I
> would hope that scenario would never happen.
>
> I currently run a FACSAria at MMRI in Brisbane, and
> again, with even minimal cleaning between sorts I
> find zero cross contamination, although my samples
> here are limited to mouse or human cells.
>
> Regards
>
> Rob Wadley

William

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to
pause and reflect.
Samuel Clemens (1835-1910)

C. William King
Flow Cytometry Core Facility