Elimination of liquid waste

WEHICytometry facs_copy at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Aug 22 00:36:33 EDT 2007

Sorry.	There's nothing like the mention of elimination of waste to
bring down the tone of a discussion.  However, even the most
sophisticated of cytometers need to do it.

The issue is that we have sorters and flow cytometers running
biohazardous or genetically engineered samples and the waste needs to
be safely and legally disposed of (our containment level is PC2).  So
far we have used bleach to decontaminate and, as I see it, the best
way is to add bleach to the waste tank while it is still connected to
the cytometer (or, even better, to add the bleach before running the
samples).  Then, to empty the waste, it can be tipped or suctioned
out with no danger of the splashes or drips carrying a viable
contaminant from the samples.

But is that the best practice or is there an alternative? Is
bleaching the "greenest" way to decontaminate or is autoclaving an
alternative? If so, how do you do it?  The whole tank can't be
autoclaved because of the level sensors.  How would you disconnect or
decant without drips or splashes?

What do those of you at PC3 level of containment do?

If there is a better way to handle waste than we are currently
handling it, I'm guessing someone has invented it already.  That's
why I ask..

Frank Battye.

     |	  |  << The Cytometry Laboratory
      \__/ <<<< The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute
------!!<<<<<< 1G Royal Parade, Parkville
      /!!\ <<<< Victoria 3050, Australia
     o !! \  << ph: 61_3_9345 2540, fax: 61_3_9347 0852